Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Something's Different

It's been almost three months. I'm still reluctant to share my secret.

OK, as long as you promise not to judge me, I'll let you in on it. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in January '10. My finger hovers over the backspace key. If everyone knows, they might disdain me for taking the "easy route". If everyone knows and I fail at this weight loss attempt too, the shame will be unbearable. If everyone knows, they might scrutinize my weight even more; they might wonder why I'm not thin yet. After all, it's been three months already.

My dilemma began about 2 years ago. No, that's not true. My first attempt at weight loss began at the tender age of 8. Since then, I have been systematically destroying my body's natural ability to lose weight with my yo-yo dieting. (Aging doesn't really help either, but I don't know that I'm ready to admit that yet.) You know how that is, right? Unless you happen to be one of the...lucky? disciplined? genetically superior?...15% of Americans with "normal" weight.

Anyway, 2 years ago, after suffering through a year of infertility I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS. The doc told me that losing weight would improve the condition, but that women with PCOS find it almost impossible to lose weight. (Ha! How's that for advice?) I decided to just try to eat healthy; you know, reduce consumption of processed foods, cut out most meats, drink more water, eat more fruits and veggies, yadda yadda. Surprise! It didn't work.

Then my fertility clinic gave me the fatal blow. They told me they could keep injecting me with hormones indefinitely, but that what would really improve my chances of conception was weight loss. By this time, I was frustrated, ashamed, depressed, angry. I gave up on fertility treatments. My weight kept climbing until I was back to the all-time high I had reached during the all-time low point of my life. The weight I had sworn to myself I would never, ever see again.

Desperate for a solution, I attended an informational seminar on Bariatric Surgery. I think that was an emotional low point for me. It felt like admitting defeat. Like admitting to weakness of character. But I kept remembering my grandmother's eulogy, where the presiding minister mentioned her "obvious love of food". I might be able to avoid that if I get help now.

It's been 11.5 weeks since my surgery. I have a stomach pouch that holds 4 fluid oz. of food at a time, and a shortened small intestine that hinders absorption. I also ended up with an ulcer that severely limits protein intake. If I indulge in my drug of choice, sugar, I become violently ill. I'm still struggling emotionally with the realization that I can't eat "normally". At least once a week I experience intense regret that I made this decision. Easy way out? Not by a long shot.

To date, I've lost 60 of the 100 pounds I needed to lose before surgery. Some people are just starting to notice that something is different about me. I get asked if I did something different with my hair. Sure! I put it on a thinner face.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Don't be ashamed. You did something to better yourself. Keep up the good work. I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud for you for sharing this! A secret shared loses it's power to shame. You are a beautiful, strong woman, never forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe this is something to be ashamed of. Infertility in itself is a true test of character Shawn and I know that all to well. We were in that for 7 years and nothing. I always hated it when people said God has a plan you just need to believe and yet they were holding that holding a child. You will be stronger for this. It is easy? NO WAY! But what does not beat you makes you stronger and you are well on your way. Keep up the great work and know that you have people that are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a strong woman who is doing something positive for the future. Weight loss, no matter how it's done isn't easy. I'm proud of you for sharing. Hang in there and huge HUGS.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marci,

    WAY TO GO!!! I know it took a lot of nerve for you to share! Good for you girl. Hang in there and keep on keeping on!

    Christa (Dees) Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
  6. UPDATE:

    78 pounds down and 23 more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marci, I admire you so much for what you did. I understand some of the frustration. I have gained an excess of weight due to hormone treatments for medical reasons and now found out I am pre-diabetic. Those two factors working against each other make it impossible to lose weight..... You look great... keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete